Friday 20 October 2017

Pentax Espio 105G with expired AM Colour 400 film


Rarely have I used a film that I didn't like!

This film, AM Colour 400, was an expired film gifted to me by a friend.  I believe it is a repackaged  'film of unknown origin' that was sold by AMCAL Chemists back in the day.  It was over 10 years old.  I don't know if it was a popular choice of photographers in its day but I can't find any mention of it anywhere in Google!

I decided to shoot it at box speed (usually expired film is shot at 1 stop underexposed) and so loaded it into a Pentax Espio 105G 35mm point and shoot camera.  Nice little camera actually, I found it handy to use in quick situations and it fitted in my man bag without weighing it down too much.

I know that expired film can have an unexpected result; a quirkiness that you either love or hate.  This film didn't do it for me; the colour hues weren't too bad but the very 'harsh' grainy finish left me disappointed.  I dont mind a black and white film with a grainy finish but, to me, colour film needs to have a fine grain that's barely noticeable.

I guess that's why I haven't tried Lomography yet; I prefer a film (and camera) that can give predictable results.

There was only 1 roll of this AM Colour 400 film given to me.  I still have 2 expired Fuji Superia Extra 400 films to be used so that will be interesting!  

My latest project is waiting to be dropped into the lab for development and scanning - a roll of Ilford Delta 3200 black and white.   My next project is already loaded into my Minolta X-700 - a roll of CineStill ISO50 colour!


















No comments:

Post a Comment

Catching up.

 Well it has been a couple of months since I posted a Blog article.   I don't have any Project or roll of film in particular to share wi...