Tuesday 27 October 2015

Adventures (and some misadventures) in Film


For months now, I have had a few films sitting around waiting to be developed and scanned.  We'd had a few bills etc and so I left them for a while until the finances were looking a little healthier.

Finally, I put them in to the lab!  It was another week before I could get in to pick up the final product.

At the lab, the assistant told me there were some marks on the negatives.  I figured that it was probably just some dust spots.  Big surprise when I got home to look at the negatives.

There were 5 exposures on each Ilford PANF Plus 50 120 film covered in splotches and small white dots and with what looked like scratch marks across the negative.  The other 3 negatives looked great!  I posted 2 of the marked negatives (the ones posted below) to a film photo group on Facebook, hoping that someone could come up with an answer.  The most logical of these answers was that the paper back of the 120 film had been affected with condensation which had ruined the emulsion on the film.




It seemed to make sense.  I contacted Ilford by email and on their Facebook page to see if any of their experts could confirm the condensation theory; no reply as yet.  I took the negatives to my lab this afternoon and they were scrutinised closely.  It appears that condensation was not the problem rather, it appeared by some of the marks on the negative that the film had been damaged somehow in initial production.  I intend to contact Ilford again and post off a couple of the negatives to them for their opinion.  We'll see how that goes and I'll update with the outcome.

Anyway, the third film I got back was a Fuji NEOPAN Acros 100; one of my fav 35mm black and white films!  Nothing wrong with that - the whole roll turned out great!

Here are some from those 3 rolls, hope you enjoy them!







All photos on this Blog and corresponding Google + page are Copyright © Life with Jordy Photography,  
All Rights Reserved and may not be used without permission.

These photos are for sale, contact me if you are interested.


Watching the ships - Port Hunter, Newcastle, Australia.
Voigtlander Bessa 1 using Ilford PANF Plus 50 in 120mm.

This is my fav from this roll.  Looking down on the foreshore boardwalk from
the Port Hunter Lookout Tower.  I want to have this re-scanned at a 
higher resolution so I can enlarge it.  Before printing though, I want to photoshop
out all of the seagull pooh from the seats.  Is that too fussy?

The Commercial Banking Company of Sydney LTD - Newcastle, NSW,
Australia.

Voigtlander Bessa 1 using Ilford PANF Plus 50 in 120mm.

Once through the door the inside of this building is beautiful!
Wonderfully restored, it is so worth a visit!

FJ 1926 - Newcastle, NSW, Australia.
Voigtlander Bessa 1 using Ilford PANF Plus 50 in 120mm.

I love to take B&W in the Hunter Street Mall.  The trees there really make for some great
dappled light and shade across the building facades.
Best seats in the house! - James Fletcher Park, Newcastle, NSW, Australia.
Konica-Minolta Dynax 40 using Fuji NEOPAN Acros 100 in 35mm.

This is my favourite place to sit for lunch; except maybe during the hot summer.  It looks 
down to Newcastle Beach and out to sea.  From here I get to see migratory whales just off shore, and
there is a pod of dolphins that feed closer to shore and mix it on the waves with the surfers.


Birdy contemplating the future of the abandoned Post Office - Newcastle, NSW, Australia.
Konica-Minolta Dynax 40 using Fuji NEOPAN Acros 100 in 35mm.

This bird, like the rest of us, is probably wondering what is going to happen to this beautiful
building.  It has lain dormant for years and the inside and is falling into disrepair.  A grand piece of 
architecture is going to waste. 

James Fletcher Park, Newcastle, NSW, Australia.
Konica-Minolta Dynax 40 using Fuji NEOPAN Acros 100 in 35mm.

I like this photo for its' simplicity.  

New arrival in Port Hunter - Newcastle, NSW, Australia.
Konica-Minolta Dynax 40 using Fuji NEOPAN Acros 100 in 35mm.

It is clear to see why the Obelisk at Newcastle was used as a point of reference for ships coming
into Port Hunter for years.  From the top of the hill here, the view is grand, and I couldn't
resist this shot over the rooftops of this ship coming into harbour.
The Obelisk - Newcastle, NSW, Australia.
There was a flour mill originally built on this hill in Newcastle.
The sailing ships used the Mill as a reference point when coming into
harbour. When the mill was demolished, the Obelisk was built on the
exact same spot to assist in navigation.












No comments:

Post a Comment

Catching up.

 Well it has been a couple of months since I posted a Blog article.   I don't have any Project or roll of film in particular to share wi...